Major League Baseball sidelined reigning Cy Young winner Trevor Bauer as he faces sexual assault allegations.
Bauer, a 30-year-old pitcher for the Los Angeles Dodgers who has denied the allegations, was placed on a seven-day administrative leave effective immediately on Friday while a pair of investigations are underway, the league said in a statement.
“MLB’s investigation into the allegations made against Trevor Bauer is ongoing,” the MLB’s statement read. “While no determination in the case has been made, we have made the decision to place Mr. Bauer on seven-day administrative leave effective immediately. MLB continues to collect information in our ongoing investigation concurrent with the Pasadena Police Department’s active criminal investigation.”
Bauer will not be appealing the suspension to avoid being a “distraction” to the team, per ESPN’s Jeff Passan.
Police in Pasadena, California, said on Tuesday an investigation was opened after a woman, who has not been publicly identified, received a temporary domestic violence restraining order against Bauer following an alleged sexual assault earlier this year.
In her application, which included graphic details, the woman alleged that the two had two sexual encounters in April and May during which she lost consciousness.
During one of the encounters, he allegedly punched her in the face and genitals repeatedly, injuring her so badly that she was hospitalized. The woman also claimed that she awoke from being unconscious to him anally penetrating her without consent.
Bauer’s attorney, Jon Fetterolf, claimed the sexual relationship between Baur and the woman was consensual. The accuser’s allegations, he said, are “baseless” and “defamatory.”